Friday, March 26, 2010

Week in Review and Workout Updates

Almost forgot to update my blog for the three readers this week! Let’s get last week’s run out of the way. Monday cross train day, well nothing there yet. I do think that I am just going to plan a bike loop and on Mondays just go for a bike ride. I figure its a lot cheaper than joining a fitness club. Tuesday was a rest day. Wednesday was the last of the 3 mile runs 30:34 @ a 10:11 pace. Thursday was a 7 mile run 1:19:05 @ 11:17 pace. Thursday was a 4 mile run 42:39 @ 10:40 pace. I think that 4 miles is my new favorite distance for a run. Really feels like a challenge to see if I can run it under 10 minute miles. Saturday was a rest day. Sundays long was 15 miles, my newest distance P.R.. I ran it in 2:45:44 @ a 11:02 pace. My favorite part of the Sunday long runs is mapping it out. I use mapmyrun.com to get a general idea of the distance, sometimes I’ll even drive it with my car to see what its like and to double check the mileage. So far it has been almost perfect. 15 miles is a long way, when I planned the route I tried to make it like a figure eight loop that way if I didn’t think I could do it or something went wrong I could have a short cut home. Well nothing is to short when you’re running 15 miles so maybe a faster route home. I loaded up my water belt with 4 10oz bottles of Gatorade and a four gel packs. I try to pace myself with the fluids so they’ll last the whole trip, but that never works out very well. At about mile 7-8 I planned my run to go by my sister’s house just in case I had to make a stop for fluid remove. The run went really well started out a little to fast but got into the grove around mile 5. I felt very good around mile 8 so I didn’t have to make that stop. Wait, ok my legs were feeling somewhat heavy around mile 8 but nothing to crazy. Mile 9 I stopped for a couple of minutes for a stretching break, when I stop I usually pause my Garmin gps watch so it doesn’t record my standing there. After stretching I headed on, about mile 11 I noticed that I forgot to restart my Garmin. Damn I hate when I do that!!! So not sure how far I just ran or my real time I just kept going on the planned course hoping that it was real close to the correct mileage. I know the distances to my house from a lot of places around my neighborhood so I was pretty sure that It was correct. At mile 13ish I ran out of fluids so I had to stop off and grab a bottle or PowerAde at the store. I always love the looks the people give you at the counter when you walk in and buy one drink and run off, they always give you that look of your crazy… The last mile was really hard to keep running, I thought a lot to myself that this is only 15 miles and I’ll never be able to run 26.2 miles. Then I try to remind myself that a year ago I couldn’t run 500 feet and now today I am running 15 miles. That usually works if not I think of all the food I am going to eat when I am done. I ran 15 miles in 2:45:44 @ an 11:02 pace. (Took the total time I was out and figured the average pace then added two miles of time to the Garmin total) That brings the week total to 29 miles.


This week’s runs are going very good so far. Wednesday I ran 4 miles 41:51 @ 10:27 pace and Thursdays run was 8 miles 1:18:54 @ an 11:05 pace. In a couple of hours I am going out for Fridays run, I am hoping that it warms up a little before I go out. Saturday is rest and Sunday is the Strides of March 5k race. This leads to a very interesting subject about this Sunday’s long run. I am scheduled to run 16 miles this Sunday and the 5k is 3.1 miles to I would have to run 13 more miles after the race to keep on my training program. So I mapped it out on maymyrun.com and the race is about 12.7 mile away from my house. So yup that’s right, I am going to drive there in the morning and run my 5k race then load up my gear and run home. I really do mean run home, this will give me my 16 mile total for the day. Then later I’ll have my wife drive me back to get my car. I know that it would make more since if she dropped me off in the morning at the race, but then she would have to wake up early on a Sunday and I don’t think that will happen. As always I hope to get some pictures of the race to post and I’ll try to have a update posted on Sunday after the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment