Sunday, October 31, 2010

The adventure continues

After my first marathon in May my running sort of went down hill. I didn't stop running, I just didn't feel like running anymore. I took off about a week from running. My first time back running I felt sick, I really didn't want to run. Three weeks after my marathon I ran a local half marathon that I signed up for a few months before. I ran it with a friend, it was her first half marathon. Towards the end of the race my left foot was starting to bother me, it was a slight pain every time my foot touched the ground. I finished the half and was feeling good about the run even thou I was limping away. I continued to run off and on even thou my foot was really bothering me. I didn't want to give in and rest, I didn't want to stop running again, I didn't feel right when I didn't run. I didn't really have a running schedule, I just ran a few mile here and there and ran a couple of local 5k's.
My foot was in pain 90% of the time when I ran, I didn't want to give up. It was after a 5k race that I almost didn't finish when I said enough was enough. I felt like I couldn't do it anymore. I went to my doctor, after some fast x-rays she found a small heel spur on the bottom of my foot. Her anwswer was to stop running and find a new way to exercise. Lol ya that's what I'll do... A few weeks later I went to see a new doctor, a foot doctor, one that runs doctor. He also owns a running store. The minute I walked I to his office I knew that I would like his answers to my problems. He knew what I was going threw, the pain and the emotions. After some tests and some new x-rays I did have heel spurs, two of them. One on the bottom and one on the back. He explained what they were and how I got them. His answer to the problem was a lot better then the first one I got. Rest,ice and stretching. Oh and don't stop running... I just have to cut back a lot! He also fitted me for orthotics. They would be ready in about three weeks from then.

During this rest period I found a new way to keep exercising, cycling! I started to ride my trek to work. It's a 13.6 mile trip one way. So would get to work out in the morning and at night. It wasn't the same as running but at least I was moving.

Time for tricker treat... Will post more later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment