Thursday, May 5, 2011

10 More Days!!!

Yes thats right ten more days until I get to line up with thousands of others that put in the hard work so we can run our 26.2 mile celebration.
At the start of training I feel that the marathon is so far away and I have 16 weeks to get ready. Half way thou the training I start to feel the pressures of the training creep up. Three quarters thou the training is when my mind tells me that I am not doing enough and I am never going to finish this marathon. Then when you look at your training schedule and you see that you ran your last long run, you see it. The Taper! You made it! Now its just an easy two weeks of hopefully easy runs. The last two weeks is the most exciting time of training for me. I feel proud that I made it threw marathon training once again, a little faster and a bit more stronger. I think their is no better way to finish it by running the last 26.2 miles with all my friends! WOOT! WOOT!

Whats with all these new personal records?
Once again I crushed my last pr by more that a minute in the 5K. My last 5K was in March and I ran it in 25:33 beating my last time by 30 seconds or so. Last sunday I lined up for the West end YMCA 5k. The course was pretty flat and ran threw a nice quite streets next to the YMCA. The only downer was that it was raining the whole time. I decided that I was going to wear my Vibram Bikila fivefinger anti-shoes for this race. The first mile went pretty quick and I didn't want to push it hard like in the other races, I alway feel like I have nothing left when I push to soon. Ran the first mile in 7:42 The second mile I felt like I started to speed up, I think it was just the first mile telling me that... Usually I start getting passed by the smart runners that know how to pace themselves, not today thou, I was one of the smart runners. I ran the second mile in 7:45. On the last mile my plan was to hang until the last .5 then try to give it my all. Before that last turn onto the finish I could feel the other runners starting to kick it up. When I turn the corner I saw the clock off in the distance and knew it was time to put the hammer down. I ran the last mile in 7:39. For the last minute of the race I was averaging a 6:20 pace! I ran it in 23:50, making it into the 23 minute zone! Lovein it! The only down side is that in the shoots some guy was pushing his way threw not knowing to stay in order... so on the race web site I got his time and he got mine... oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Congrats on the new PR and 10 more sleeps!!! Yay!!!! See you in Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you PR'ed by over a minute and a half? Wowzers!

    I'm still in the "can I really do this?" stage. (:

    ReplyDelete