Saturday, May 15, 2010

Two More Days




This afternoon I and daughter Makenna went to the Rite Aid health and fitness expo to pick up my race bib and goody bag. When driving down to the expo I started to get some small pre-race jitters. I know that I didn't forget how to run or anything I just hope that I'll be able to run the full 26.2 miles. I hope that all the training was enough. My longest run to date is 20 miles and there is 6.2 mile more. For the last couple of weeks I have been having some adductor muscle discomfort when running. I have been taking it easy when running and doing some stretching. Last week I went to see my doctor to make sure if I keep on running I won't really hurt myself. She said that I just strained the muscle and rest and ice would be the best. I gave her the look of aahhhh no I am running this. So she gave me a prescription for an anti inflammatory and set me up with physical therapy. She said even thou your race is a week away maybe they could help work out the strained muscles. I have been running still and the pain us just a small dull now. Yesterday I went to see the therapist for an evaluation. I told him my story and he understood what I was going through. He said that he can't work miracles but he'll try to loosen up the muscles. After about 20 minutes of the weirdest positions a man ever put me in I was all stretched out. Then he gave me a large ice bag and left me be for awhile. When he returned he brought me a stretching routine and set me up for 6 more appointments. He said he didn't want to work the muscles to deep because it would be sore and I would be yelling at him later. I do feel better today. I have been doing the stretching and resting so I hope I am good to go.


I don't plan on winning, or beating any records. I do want to finish. I am planning on running with the 4:45 pace group, if I feeling good towards the end I'll speed up or even if I am killing myself I'll slow down. Even if I run the first half and have to walk the rest I don't mind. I just want to start at the starting line and finish at the finish line. The course is open for 8 hours so I have a lot of time. I just have to remember that my 26.2 miles is celebration of all the hard work that I have done over the last year.

I am going to break the 26.2 miles into five 5.25 mile groups in my head. I know that I can easily run 5 miles. I have done it hundreds of times, what’s five more?

Anyways I will finish my first marathon tomorrow and hopefully post some pictures for ya.




No comments:

Post a Comment