Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Workout updates from my phone.

The big twenty mile run is done and I am in tapper mode! I still don't
believe that I ran that far. To recap the run, I started the run about
7:30 am and planned a out and back route. This time out I brought
along some fuel for the run. A couple of gu's, clif power bar and
filled up my camel pack with gatorade. The first five miles were
really good, felt fast and easy. The next five to the half was a
little harder, I think that it was mainly do to me over heating from
the windbreaker I was wearing. When I hit the ten mile mark I shredded
the jacket and fueled up on the clif bar. I was totally drenched in
sweat from wearing the jacket, but after taking it off I felt really
cold. Miles 10-15 kind of felt numb, like they didn't even happen. I
always dread mile 16 not sure why and of course when mile 16 hit so
did the aches. I started to add short walks in about every 1/2 mile.
When I hit mile 18 I started to feel alot better so I ran 19. The last
mile was really hard but I felt really good about it. When I hit 20
I new that the marathon is totally do-able. I went straight into the
ice bath when I got home. I think I soaked for about 20 minutes.
That evening I felt real good muscle wise, some thing stomach wise
didn't feel right. I continued to feel that way for the next couple of
days. From what I read and gathered I was dehydrated. Even thou I
drank almost 60 oz of fluids during my run I stopped hydrating after
my run. They say you should continue hydrating even after your runs.
Not sure if that was the cause but all I know is that I felt like crap
for the next few days.
Monday was across training day so I road my bike for about 1/2 hour.
Tuesday was a rest day. Starting my tapper now my recovery run was
suppost to be 5 miles. Still feeling alittle off I ended up only
running 4 miles. Thursdays mid-week long run of 8 miles did not go so
well. I headed out in the morning and when I hit about 2 miles I
started to have pain in my upper left leg toward my inner thigh. I
started to walk a little and it went away. When I stared up running
again the pain came right back. I did this for about 1/2 mile before I
desided to turn back and walk home. It started to hurt even more, even
walking. So I had to call home and Ask my wife to pick me up. When I
got home and sat down the pain started to go away. This is the first
time ever that I didn't finish a run. It was really hard to do that. I
felt that I needed to stop and find out what was going on. The rest of
the day it didn't really hurt, but it was sore. I also desided not to
run on Friday. Friday morning I did get to finally break in that new
bike. I road about 20 miles and it was awesome. That afternoon I
bought a foam roller to help stretch out those leg muscles. Saturday
was a rest day.
Sundays long run was a 12 mile run. I didn't run at all since my
failed mid-week long run. I met my running buddy to run the half
marathon course that were running in June. This course is not so easy.
The first 5 miles is almost all downhill. Miles 5-7 is rolling hills.
Around mile 8-9 there is a huge uphill!!! 9-13 is pretty flat. It's
the hills that will kill ya on this course. I ran the first few miles
feeling that the pain would show up right away. Thankfully it never
did. When we got to the hills I was givin the go if you can and don't
worry about me call. I really don't like leaving someone behind when
running but I had to prove something to myself. I wanted to make sure
that I wasn't broken. So I pulled ahead a little and didn't stop until
I was at top of all the hills. I did start to feel a little ache but
it never really hit like it did on the mid-week run. I did start to
walk a little after mile 10 and kicked it in to finish up the 12
miles. Over all it was a good run not the fastest run I have ran but
mentally if was the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment