Friday, December 9, 2011

It's a blow out

It's been awhile since my post. Lots of stuff catch up on, race reports, training and for now my lost love.
I love the Saucony Peregrine trail shoes. The 4mm drop and super traction up and down hills, how could I not fall in love. After the first 150 miles in them I noticed that I blew out the outer sides of the shoes. I trip back to the best local running shop ever. They swapped out them for a fresh pair. Back on the trails I logged another 100 or so miles I noticed the night before Salt Fork 10 mile trail run that the right one started to blow out. It was way to late to change out shoes so I decided just to run with them. Durning the race my damn left shoe kept coming untied, after getting past by around ten people I started to get a little pissed. Then I lost my left shoe in some deep mud. More on that in my race report, for now I was mad as hell and done with those shoes.
So returning to the running store I told them what was going on and I wanted to trade. After deciding on a new pair I walked out of the store with some bad ass Merrell trail gloves! I had my eye on these shoes for a while and wanted to try them out. That night all shoe high I wore them around the house and soon found out that I hated them. They felt like crap. The high was replaced by a low. The next day with my head down I walked into the store handing them the Merrells and walking out with my money back. I was now lost. Two days later I went out on the search for new trail shoes. I ended up at a not so local running shop that carried a huge selection of trail shows. The best part of the store is the employees, they are all trail runners! Some even ultra runners. After explaining my story to them and my running plans for the year the nice lady brought out a huge stack of shoes. I think I tried on four pairs and nothing really felt right. Another guy came over and suggested that I try the New Balance MT101rx.


She grabbed my size and it was love. I took a small run down the street to make sure they were a match. I walked out of the store with new shoes and a new pair of socks ready to hit the trails.
Today I headed out on the trails sporting my new NBs.
What can I say, they felt really good! I would say even better then the Sauconys. The only down fall was that they don't have as much grip on the down hills. A bonus is they don't hold the mud! So after running threw tons of mud they don't weigh ten pounds.
So for now they are my new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment