Sunday, November 22, 2009

Workout update

When to the doctors friday and had some xrays taken, she said that theres no stress fractures or broken bones. She said it might be Morton's neuroma.
Thats sounds scary right !!! It's not though.

From About.com,
http://foothealth.about.com/od/neuroma/a/MortonsNeuroma.htm
In basic terms, a neuroma is an enlargement or thickening of a nerve in the foot in the area between the toes, usually the third interspace between the third and fourth toes, followed by the second interspace between the second and third toes. Morton's neuromas can rarely affect the fourth and first interspaces. Causes of Morton's Neuroma: Injury or Poor Biomechanics
A Morton's neuroma is thought to be caused by an injury to the nerve, but scientists are still not sure about the exact cause of the injury. The injury may be caused by damage to the metatarsal heads, the deep transverse intermetatarsal ligament (holds the metatarsal heads together) or an intermetatarsal bursa (fluid-filled sac). All of these structures can cause compression and injury to the nerve, initially causing swelling and damage in the nerve. Over time, if the compression/injury continues, the nerve repairs itself with very fibrous tissue that leads to enlargement and thickening of the nerve.
Other causes of injury to the nerve may include simply having an incorrect walking style or an awkward foot structure, such as overpronation (foot rolls inward), hypermobility (too much motion), cavo varus (high arch foot) and excessive dorsiflexion (toes bend upward) of the toes.

These biomechanical (how the foot moves) factors may cause injury to the nerve with every step. If the nerve becomes irritated and enlarged, then it takes up more space and gets even more compressed and irritated. It becomes a vicious cycle.

She said that I should look into new running shoes. Thats not fun, seeing that I just bought a new pair of New Balance 850's to replace my last pair. That was recomended by my local running shop. I think that I'll try to loose the laces abit first and see if that helps. If not Maybe then I'll try a differnt pair.

To finish off the week I ran 2.5 miles on friday and then today sunday 3.43 miles. I think I am going to start not counting my warmups and cool downs in the time and milage sence it brings down the average pace time.
Next week I get to run longer on sunday. I am happy about that. I feel that I am cheating myself on shorter runs, But I think that I rather stick to the plan and take it slow and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment